Sunday, May 6, 2012

Life without chocolate

So remember when I thought I was allergic to soy?  Well it hasn't been ruled out because I am still waiting for allergy tests (I asked my doctor to refer me in December 2011, he finally referred me in February, and my appointment is at the end of September 2012--ridiculous? YES!), but I don't think it is soy.  I THOUGHT it might be soy because I had some reactions whenever I drank a soy protein shake but months later I think I figured it out.  I can't have caffeine! 

I was shopping at a bulk foods store with my mom and she bought some chocolate covered jujubes.  I ate 3 and was in pain.  My first thought was, "Chocolate has soy."  NO!  Chocolate has caffeine.  I was putting instant coffee into my protein shakes.  Iced tea gave me the same reaction.  Tea as well. Hmm...coffee, tea, chocolate all have caffeine, not soy!  Then yesterday I baked my mom's birthday cake and made a gorgeous chocolate buttercream frosting and decided to try out my theory again.  I had a teeny tiny bit of icing on my finger, licked it, and was in instant pain (although far less and for a very short time compared to when I drank a latte!). 

No chocolate?  I love chocolate.   Even "caffeine free" isn't really caffeine free, so no more tea or coffee either!  Life isn't fair. 

The beautiful (and apparently yummy) vanilla cupcakes with chocolate buttercream frosting I made for my mom's birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment