It all started when my mom brought over an $8.95 Gluten Free Living magazine. I have to admit I'm a "judge a
There was a whole section about pizza with recipes for homemade sauce, 4 different types of pizza, and this awesome gluten free crust. I wasn't sure how it would turn out and didn't get my hopes up too high, but was pleasantly surprised. It tasted pretty close to real pizza crust that I'm used to and even my husband liked it.
The recipe makes 2 medium or 4 individual crusts and you HAVE to freeze the baked crusts before using them, which is the only minor inconvenience.
Try it out!
1 cup white rice flour
1 cup tapioca starch (*I couldn't find this so I used potato starch the first time and corn starch the second)
1 tsp. fine sea salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. xanthum gum (*this is used a lot in gluten free baking)
1/2 cup milk (any kind, I used skim)
1/2 cup water
1 egg
1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp. white wine vinegar or cider vinegar
1. Heat the oven to 425 degrees F. Place a baking sheet (upside down if it has a rim) or a pizza stone in the oven to heat. Draw two 8-inch circles on two separate sheets of parchment paper.
2. Combine the rice flour, tapioca starch, salt, baking powder anf xanthum gum in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl combine the milk, water, egg, olive oil and vinegar, and whisk to mix.Pour the liquid ingredients over the flour mixture and stir briskly with a spatula for about 30 seconds, until the dough is smooth and just holds its shape. (Energetic stirring activates the xanthum gum which thickens the batter).
3. Fill a large Ziploc storage bag with the dough. Snip a corner off. Pipe 2/3 of the dough onto the 2 circles and spread it out. Pipe a rim around the edges of both pizzas with the remaining batter to make a ridge. Slide the parchment onto the baking sheet or pizza stone, and bake for 15-18 minutes, until firm and light gold. Let cool, wrap airtight and freeze. When you are ready to make pizza, add toppings to the frozen crust and rebake.


Best $8.95 I ever spent then! Glad you found the book useful!
ReplyDelete