But I don't.
Instead I spent the day making pumpkin pie pancakes, working out at the gym, making French onion soup, and spending the evening with my family...pretty close to perfect!
And yesterday, although cold, was bright and I spent the early afternoon taking pictures with my dog and boyfriend. Here are a few of my favourites.

When my parents invited us for supper I knew I was going to bring homemade French onion soup to warm us all up. It got rave reviews and I was told it was better than a restaurants!French Onion Soup
5-6 large sweet yellow onions
2 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
a few sprigs of fresh thyme or 1 tbsp. dry
1/2 cup sherry
1 box beef broth
1 box chicken broth
2 bay leaf
salt and pepper to taste
croutons, bread, etc., toasted
grated swiss, provolone, and mozza cheeses
1. Add butter and olive oil to a large pot on medium low heat. Add onions and stir every 20 minutes or so.
2. Once onions are soft and starting to turn light brown, add the thyme. Cook until the onions are completely soft and caramel coloured.
3. Add the sherry to the onions and cook for a few minutes. Add the beef and chicken stock and bay leaf and bring to a boil.
4. After the liquid reaches a boil, turn to low heat and let cook for a few hours. The longer the better. Remove the bay leaf. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. When ready to serve, ladle the soup into oven safe bowls. Place the toasted bread of your choice on top of the liquid, then cover with the cheeses.
6. Broil in the oven until bubbly and golden.

No comments:
Post a Comment