Thursday, March 1, 2012

Sweet Potato and Butternut Squash Soup

Tonight I decided to whip up a batch of sweet potato and butternut squash soup to take for lunches. I even froze most of the batch for quick lunches when I'm too tired to make something.  It is dairy, gluten, nut, soy, etc. free!  It could even be vegetarian if you used vegetable stock instead of chicken stock. 
I love this soup. 
It is sort of a Fall type of soup but is good all year round because it is quick, simple, and healthy!

Ingredients:
1 medium to large sweet potato, peeled and chopped coarsely
1 small to medium butternut squash, peeled and chopped coarsely
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, sliced
2-3 ribs of celery, chopped
2-3 carrots, peeled and chopped
1-2 Tbsp. butter or oil
6-8 cups of chicken broth (enough to cover all of the vegetables- you could even use some water)
2 tsp. curry powder
1/2 tsp. turmeric


Process:
1) Heat butter or oil in a large pot on the stove
2) Add onion, celery, and carrot to pot and cook until tender
3) Add garlic to pot for about 1-2 minutes
4) Add sweet potato, butternut squash, stock, curry powder, and turmeric to the pot. 
5) Cover and bring to a boil. Simmer for about 20 minutes, or longer (sometimes I forget about it and it simmers for awhile!)
6) Remove from heat and puree in a blender, or use an immersion blender

Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment