Monday, September 3, 2012

Putting things into perspective

I am very proud of myself because I did something I've never done before and didn't really want to do. 

I made an 8 hour road trip...solo. 

It has been awhile since my girlfriends from university and I have seen each other, especially all together.  Some of us have visited recently but it had been 5 years since I had seen a few of the girls.  Babies have been born and are growing up quickly and it was past due for a visit. 

I am so glad I made that trip to Brandon to see them. 



While in Brandon I also got the opportunity to visit with a former university teacher when she invited my friend Erin and I to Elk Horn Resort at Clear Lake with her and the Margetts family.  Neither Erin and I had ever been there before so we decided to act spontaneously and go.  My wise former teacher reminded me (when I was complaining about having to wear a bathing suit after eating a huge bowl of caramel corn) that life is too precious to worry about silly things and to take advantage of opportunities given to me. She told me about a man she had taught who now has MS and Parkinson's and how his life has changed completely.  Let's just say that I put on my bikini and jumped into the pool! Thanks Sandy for putting things into perspective for me!  Erin and I both agreed that we made a good decision to change our plans and head to the lake for the night.   We spent time in the pool and hot tubs (both indoor and outdoor), ate some good food, and caught up with each other, and stayed in an awesome room (which was free!  Even better!). 

After a fantastic visit I had 8 hours to think about how fortunate I have been in life and how I need to stop worrying about everything so much and just live in the moment.  Being the control freak that I am this is harder than it might seem, but I am trying to live outside of my comfort zone and take more risks.  I think I have done well so far.


P.S. To my friends who were unable to meet up with us, we missed you! 

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely love your teacher's advice. Even though I of all people should know how precious life is, I too forget to appreciate what I have and the opportunities given to me. Thank you for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete