Saturday, July 28, 2012
Happy birthday to me!
Thursday was my 28th birthday. I spent the morning at the gym, afternoon at the beach, and evening with my family. I received a few surprises: from a friend, the above balloon, and from my parents and husband, a Canon Rebel T3i camera (I have been wanting one for a few months).
We ate gluten free cupcakes (from a box and I won't make them again or recommend them) with homemade caramel icing.
This icing is incredibly good. It is very similar to making fudge and it isn't a spreadable icing like a buttercream. I found it was easiest to dip my cupcakes into the pot because the icing hardens quite quickly.
Caramel Icing
(you will need to double the recipe for a large cake)
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp. milk (*I used skim--any will work)
1 cup icing sugar, sifted (*I didn't sift so my icing had little white lumps in it)
1 tsp. vanilla
Boil the butter, brown sugar, and milk in a large saucepan for approx. 2 minutes. It will be bubbly and golden.
Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla, then icing sugar. Beat until it is smooth.
Quickly pour over your cake and spread it out OR dip cupcakes into the icing to frost them.
The icing will set up quickly and harden.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



Happy birthday! :)
ReplyDelete