Monday, July 23, 2012
More Than Cereal
Lately everyone I've talked to tells me they eat cereal for breakfast. I used to be one of those people too, but when I made the change to clean eating approximately a year and a half ago I made the change from cereal to something else.
My go to breakfast most days of the year when I am working is a protein smoothie, with the occassional "special" breakfast on Saturday or Sunday morning when I have more time in the morning to prepare something.
During the summer I have all of the time in the world to make a yummy, healthy breakfast that will take me through my morning workout. Today I made myself a two egg spinach and cheese omelette, but I also enjoy oatmeal, pancakes, scrambled eggs and hashbrowns, and my favorite breakfast food in the whole world, eggs benedict.
Here are some other breakfast options for you to try:
http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/Recipes/Recipe/Clean-Eggs-Benedict.aspx
http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/Recipes/Recipe/Vegetarian-Hash.aspx
http://oxygenmag.com/Nutrition/Articles/Poached-Eggs-Florentine.aspx
http://oxygenmag.com/Nutrition/Articles/Low-Sugar-Protein-Pancakes.aspx
http://oxygenmag.com/Nutrition/Articles/Mexican-Breakfast-Wrap.aspx
You've heard this before, "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day." A cup of coffee or juice does not a breakfast make. When you skip breakfast you most likely aren't making up the missed nutrients and vitamins you need in a day that you could get in your breakfast foods, you are probably hungrier later in the day and overeat, or choose unhealthy options for your snacks, and you most likely feel sluggish until you do eat a healthy meal. I know that when I did eat a bowl of cereal for breakfast I was starving by the time I could eat again, usually during Recess at 10:30. I always, always, always eat a healthy snack between breakfast and lunch, not because I'm starving, but because I try to eat smaller meals throughout the day and I feel better doing so.
Besides cereal not filling your belly up (unless you eat more than a serving--check out what the serving size on your favorite cereal is. Usually a serving is 3/4 to 1 cup of cereal, and do you really measure that out?), most kinds are full of sugar--even the "healthy" kinds. I was shocked once I started reading food labels, and cereal just doesn't make the cut in clean eating most of the time (there are exceptions if you do your research).
One of my weightloss tips to people who ask is, "Eat a clean breakfast." Eat cereal if you must, because at least you are eating breakfast, but try some other options and see how you feel. The options for a clean breakfast are endless, but if all else fails whip out your blender and make a smoothie. They are quick to make, require a few delicious and simple ingredients, and you can drink them on the way out the door.
Breakfast foods are my favorite and I have been known to make them for supper too! What is your favorite breakfast food?
Labels:
breakfast,
clean eating,
recipe,
weight loss
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Can you post a recipe for how you make your protein smoothies? I have tried make them but they never turn out. ( I know, brutal) :)
ReplyDelete